Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 79: Brotherly Love

When Max was born, Jackson's interest in nursing was at an all time low. Nap, bedtime, and don't bother me in between, Mom. So I never really had a reason to get the hang of tandem nursing. We tried a time or two, but when things didn't fall easily into place, we just ended up taking turns. Until this week.

We got home later than expected. Max was tired and fussy, and Jackson was expecting to nurse like he usually does before lunch and nap. As I found myself trying to decide which one needed me more, it dawned on me: Wait a minute! Two boys, two "milks" (as Jack likes to call them)...it's not rocket science. So we wriggled and squirmed our way around until everyone was comfortable and there was silence, beautiful silence.

The silence alone would've been enough of a reward for me, but it got better. I got a front seat to this: the boys gazed at each other, Jack gave Max gentle touches and Max reciprocated before unlatching to give his big brother a huge, milky grin. Then they held hands! If that doesn't melt your heart, nothing will.

It was such an awesome experience that Jackson has continued to ask to nurse with Max over the past few days and we're finally getting this tandem nursing thing figured out. I only wish I had done it sooner so we all could've enjoyed this kind of closeness from the start. And I'll be honest, I could've really used the moments peace and quiet a little sooner!

But better late than never. And I'm sure we have lots of time ahead of us to make up for it. I'm so thankful for the breastfeeding relationship I have with each of them and now that the three of us will have together. It's hard to say what the future holds, but if the present is any indication of how close they'll be as they grow up, I'm very excited to witness the evolution of their loving relationship and the genuine friendship that will come from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment